Writing Service Order Your Paper
In the past, cancer proved to be a grave disease that led to many deaths in different parts of the world. The disease has caused many challenges and raised an alarm on finding a solution to the problems associated with it. Therefore, it is necessary to direct community and national resources to help in solving various problems that arise as a result of its effects. This document identifies some of the major community cancer resources available for those affected by the disease. These resources may help the patients to find comfort at the times of need (Monje & Dietrich, 2012).
Community Cancer Resources
Breast Cancer Wellness Organization
Breast cancer wellness organization is an organization set up with the primary goal to deliver a variety of assistance to the cancer patients in the United States. Its main purpose is to reach out to the newly diagnosed patients to help them live a healthy lifestyle as the disease is suppressed. The focus is pegged on the retail mastectomy outlets where the cancer tests are carried out. The breast cancer wellness organization offers many services to the cancer patients across the United States. The types of services they offer include:
- Making contributions to the profoundly affected and vulnerable cancer patients to raise capital that can be used by the patients to attend the breast cancer thrives cruise. It is an occasion for the cancer patients that occurs yearly (Monje & Dietrich, 2012).
- Advocating for togetherness that is geared towards fighting the deadly disease among the female gender to bring about changes in their physical and mental health. Advocating for the larger population of women suffering from cancer across the world provides cancer handouts and education on how to lead a healthy lifestyle. It is one of the vital roles played by the breast cancer wellness organization in the United States as pointed out by Sabatino et al. (2015).
- Offering training and guidance services to the female gender to equip them with the necessary educational skills on cancer prevention and control methods. In this way, the trained female personnel would act as cancer ambassadors to the other women across the globe on matters relating to the disease and the ways of leading a healthy responsible lifestyle (Sabatino et al., 2015).
Melanoma International Foundation
Melanoma International Foundation is a non-profit organization that was put in place about thirteen years ago to offer sound and scientific cancer guidance. The history is based on the fact the founder was diagnosed with melanoma hence the name of the organization. The organization is supported by well-wishers, families, communities, and pharmaceutical organizations that are willing to support the program (Monje & Dietrich, 2012). Its primary mission is to develop a personalized plan to enable the cancer patients to live a long life with a vision of creating a future with better treatment of melanoma at every corner of the nation. Melanoma International Foundation offers a variety of services and programs to melanoma patients including:
- Providing educational services on the spread of melanoma diseases and possible prevention mechanisms like skin self-examination and excessive solar heat avoidance. It assists in early detection of the disease, hence the ability to cure it promptly as a goal of major importance to the organization.
- Offering outreach and support programs to many patients across the world who contacts them for various forms of advice on the melanoma diagnosis. The organization is dedicated to offering support to the patients who contact them at any time of the day from whichever part of the world. By providing ongoing support to the patients, the organization aims at giving the patients a better understanding of pathology reports and therapy options of the disease.
- Additionally, the organization is offering a variety of online training sessions through the available conferencing tools like the webinars to the subscribers to equip them with the skills necessary to handle the disease (Gentile, Panebianco, & Sciarra, 2014).
Safe from the Sun Walk and Run
This is an event that is organized to help teach people about the effects of solar heat on the skin that can lead to melanoma infection. It includes a free skin cancer screening to every participant in the program to help prevent the effects of the disease in the population.
National Cancer Institute
The NCI is a governmental organization focused on doing research about cancer as well as performing training events on the prevention of the disease. The main responsibility of the organization is to organize the various activities of the national cancer programs. Its mandate includes supporting various programs, research work, as well as creating health awareness to the general public about cancer as a disease. The organization specifically performs cancer research in the laboratories to generate proper findings on the causes of cancer and the possible treatments.
Benefits of the Resources
The resources have created a community that is much informed about cancer as a world pandemic. Through the various outreach programs, many people across the nation are now aware of cancer as a disease and the various causes as well as prevention measures. It has helped a great deal in reducing the effects of the disease and educated people on prevention measures (Takala, 2015). The resources have availed cancer treatment facilities in almost every part of the nation. Many patients are now able to seek treatment in every corner of the country without necessarily having to travel long distances in pursuit of therapy. It saves time and resources, hence few cancer deaths are witnessed in the country. The resources have created a lot of sensitization programs to train people about cancer and the various causes as well as the prevention mechanisms that help to reduce cancer spread (Gentile, Panebianco & Sciarra, 2014).
Integrating the Resources Into a Care Plan
The cancer care plan is a crucial activity that needs to be treated with utmost significance if the deadly illness is to be minimized. As such, the integration of the various community resources available is a good idea as this will strengthen the resources in the fight against cancer. The resources can be integrated by bringing together the stakeholders to discuss the way forward and set up a common goal of fighting cancer as world pandemic. The spirit of togetherness would go a long way in ensuring that enough resources are available for fighting the disease as well as for use in the educational programs about the deadly disease (Takala, 2015).
Advantages and Disadvantages of Vulnerable Populations in Seeking the Resources
One of the advantages of seeking the resources by the vulnerable people is a reduction of cancer deaths. This is because the patients give special attention and they receive proper treatment. In addition, the patients and the entire population are made aware of the possible causes of the disease and the ways to reduce the contraction of the disease (Gentile, Panebianco, & Sciarra, 2014). However, the main disadvantage of seeking the resources is that a response might take longer than expected and the patient may succumb to the disease in cases of delay in the reply.
Gentile, V., Panebianco, V., & Sciarra, A. (2014). Multidisciplinary management of prostate cancer: The role of the prostate cancer unit. New York: Springer Science & Business Media.
Monje, M., & Dietrich, J. (2012). Cognitive side effects of cancer therapy demonstrate a functional role for adult neurogenesis. Behavioral Brain Research, 227 (2), 376-379.
Sabatino, S. A., White, M. C., Thompson, T. D., & Klabunde, C. N. (2015). Cancer screening tests use – United States, 2013. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR), 64 (17), 464-468.
Siegel, R., DeSantis, C., Virgo, K., Stein, K., Mariotto, A., Smith, T., et al. (2012). Cancer treatment and survivorship statistics, 2012. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 62 (4), 220-241.
Takala, J. (2015). Eliminating occupational cancer. Industrial Health, 53 (4), 307-309.